A couple months ago, I tried a new sushi joint for lunch. The first course they served was this adorable little cucumber salad garnished with imitation crab meat. One bite, and I was instantly sad that the bowl was so small. It was this amazing balance of sour and sweet. I asked the lady working the restaurant what they put on the cucumber, and all she said was sugar and vinegar. Can it really be that simple?! Here’s my version:
Pickled Cucumber Salad
- 1 Large Cucumber (peeling is optional)
- 1/4 C Rice Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Soy sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp Honey
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil
- Julienne cut the entire cucumber. Very thin slices will also work.
- In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, and honey. Stir until the sugar dissolves. You can microwave it for a few seconds to speed this up.
- Add sesame oil to the vinegar mixture and then pour this over the cucumber.
- Stir until it’s coated and then let the salad marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Garnish with pickled ginger or scallions or imitation crab meat.