Everyone knows it’s easier to take in calories than it is to get rid of them. Whether you want an extra bonus on top of your workout or you’re trying to ease into the whole exercising thing, here are some routines that you can start today to burn extra calories.:
- Dance- I keep a charger in my kitchen just so I can plug up my phone and turn on Pandora without killing the battery. I dance and sing while I cook meals and load dishwasher. May not sound like much, but how much time do you spend cooking each day? An hour of dancing can burn 336 calories! And it’s fun!
- Park further back- I used to be the parking lot shark who would drive around Wal-Mart for 15 minutes looking for a close spot. Now that I work out, I’ve stopped being so picky. I’m not saying you can’t take the good spot if it’s open, but if it’s not, walking from the middle of the lot won’t kill you.
- Check the mail- Maybe this doesn’t apply to you, but base housing here has apartment-style mailboxes. That is to say, all of the boxes are located in one central location rather than on the front of your house. I used to just drive by and stop on my way back from the grocery store. Now, I walk there and back, 15 minutes every day. Maybe yours isn’t that far, but the calorie burn is still worth it. Jog for an extra boost. I can burn 62 calories a day just checking the mail. That’s about 3 tootsie rolls, or just one of those caramel-filled chocolates you got for Valentine’s day.
- Clean a room- You probably already have a chore or two that needs to be done around the house anyway. Put some elbow grease into it! Scrub out your bathtub. Vacuum the carpets. Pick one room in the house and go at it! If you’re like me, you’ve got 3 baskets of clean laundry right now that are still waiting to be folded, so get to it!
- Get laid- Ok, so this might be easier for some of you than others, but grab a partner and get busy! You can burn upwards of 300 calories in an hour long love session. It’s a win-win situation, so just remember that the next time you “have a headache”. (The release of endorphins during sex can also alleviate headaches, by the way.)
What everyday activities do you do that could be modified to burn extra calories? Let’s make this a long list!