Mother’s Day is upon us, y’all! And that means strawberries are on sale at my local HEB. At 97 cents a pound, I immediately put 3 containers in my cart even though I was only there for baby food. Now if you’ve ever actually purchased from a place like Sheri’s Berries (delicious, btw) or Edible Arrangements, you know that chocolate covered strawberries are expensive in a way that doesn’t make sense. At 97 cents a pound, I can make my own damn strawberries, haha. Here’s how:
Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- 1 pound fresh Strawberries
- 4 oz Baker’s Chocolate (1 pack)
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- (optional) Assorted toppings of your choice
- Rinse the strawberries under running water and dry them off with paper towels.
- Sprinkle a plate or platter with the sugar .
- Coarsely chop the chocolate bar and place into a glass container. My measuring cup was perfect for this part.
- Microwave the chocolate in 30 second increments until you can stir it relatively smooth. This took about 2 minutes in my microwave. (It is worth noting that friends have told me my microwave may be on steroids.)
- Once the chocolate is smooth, grip the strawberries by their leaves and dip them into the chocolate individually. Lay them flat on the sugar sprinkled platter.
- If you would like to add some sort of extra topping, sprinkle it on now before the chocolate cools.
- Refrigerate the tray until the chocolate hardens, at least an hour. Then treat yo’self!!
I used Heath toffee bits; but coconut flakes, sprinkles, and graham cracker crumbs are all great choices for toppings. My strawberries don’t look exactly fabulous, but they also didn’t cost $30 for 6 so…. priorities. It turns out I have an awesome friend who makes these regularly though, and she’s going to give me some pointers to make them more aesthetically pleasing. Hopefully in the near future I’ll be able to post a sequel to this with tips and tricks to make your DIY treat look like some poor soul spent $20+ on it. In the meantime, show me how you #treatyoself on Instagram and Twitter.