There are some basic rules that every cook should know before you get started. These apply to every cooking adventure unless otherwise stated:
1. Heat the pan before you put food in it.
2. When baking, eggs always go in last.
3. Chop your vegetables to the same size so they all cook at the same speed.
4. Clean as you go. (It’s just easier.)
5. Make sure you have all your ingredients before you start.
6. Prep in advance if you can.
7. Never cut meat and veggies on the same cutting board. (Cross contamination is gross and extremely unsafe.)
8. Refrigerate leftovers as soon as possible. (Before unsafe bacteria start to grow.)
9. Wash your hands often. (another cross contamination hazard)
10. Always assume that less is more. (You can always add later if you didn’t put enough, but you can’t take it out once it’s in there.)
Learn these and heed them well and you will avoid 90% of kitchen blunders.